Thursday, July 4, 2013

Blessed

As today is my country's independence day, I have done plenty of reflecting over the last 24 hours. Even though I am currently realizing my dreams and living in a third world country 3,000 miles away from home, I still feel very blessed to call the USA my country. My time in Perú has been incredible as I just passed the one month mark a few days ago, but I am still anticipating months two through seven with excitement. I have learned so much and have had a myriad of priceless experiences. If I had to sum up the whole trip thus far in one word, it would be

Blessed.

From my enthusiastic and silly students 


to my warm and loving host family, 


I have felt at home since my arrival.  God has been revealing His plan for me in Trujillo piece-by-piece and has exceeded my expectations on all occasions. Two years ago as I was praying during a Wesley service, I had a little conversation with the Lord, and it went something like this:

Melissa: Lord, do you want me to go abroad?
God: Yes.
Melissa: Alright. Where would like for me to go?
God: Perú. T.
Melissa: Ok????

It was so simple, but at the time, I knew nothing of Perú and had never even heard of Trujillo. I thought He was wanting me to hit up Tanzania for a week! It wasn't until I arrived and described this whole story to my family that I realized that the T stands for Trujillo (because I'm that observant). If that's not proof enough that God wants me here, I'm not sure how much clearer it can get!

I can feel Him walking with me everywhere I go. (No, Dad, that doesn't mean I walk alone at night.) This past weekend was a holiday, but I wasn't having much luck finding someone to go on a trip with me. Well, I went to my church's prayer service on a whim, met a sweet friend named Cynthia, and was invited to go with the young adults on a day trip on Saturday. The news that we were going came at the perfect time! Unfortunately, the trip was cancelled at the last minute, but the Lord did not fail! Instead, He sent me my sweet cousin, Lalo, who decided to spend the day with me playing Ultimate Frisbee


and my roommate Hannah who forced me out of my comfort zone to go do touristy sight-seeing around Trujillo. That led to us meeting a tour guide who has awesome connections and brought us up to the balcony of the mayor's office and let us sit in his chair!







This trip has truly been one of a lifetime as it has given me time away from the hustle and bustle of America. This is the first time in over seven years that I have not had two calendars at all times planning out every bit of my life.  All of that being said, I have to remind myself that God is not bigger or better or more powerful in Perú but that He appears so clearly because I am living according to His will. What a wonderful adventure He has taken me on!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how He preveniently walks ahead of us when we're thinking we're alone?! He's got very SPECIAL plans for you, my dear. It's been a VERY rainy 4th...I hear the fireworks going off all around us...so thankful everything's wet...I always fear they're going to burn my house down. Looking forward to pics from your upcoming weekend.
    Need to reschedule our skyping...the doc 'tweeked' my bp meds, starting to feel better.
    Please pray for Ann, Charles' Mom...she's in the hospital with various issues and awaiting hernia surgery by spinal block...we'll be going up there soon, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this Melissa. We missed you on July 4th but it rained like nobody's business. I am glad God is still working with you and walking with you. Also glad he is providing others to go with you too. :-) Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete